Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Pukey the Convoluted Whale

So I had a series of frustrating accidents/failures in my first textile project, which was to represent a certain season. I chose to represent winter, as I really don't like Wisconsin winters, okay I hate Wisconsin winters.
I really wanted to make a creature to represent my hatred of winter, and yet my relief and gladness when it's over. My learning process brought me through frustrating knitting, cramped fingers, and felting my creature and watching it fall apart in the washer as I forgot a step.
I still kept going though, and came up with my friend Pukey.


















Pukey came about as I refused to give up on my creation, and I gradually formed him into the beautiful installation he now is, awaiting grading in the textiles room. The photographs aren't great, but I plan on perfecting this idea and doing it in a larger scale, so look forward to those.




1 comment:

emily bee said...

Pukey's naughty...he attacked my laundry. Maybe he just wants us all to not have clothes. And freeze. Ew winter.