Tuesday, March 10, 2009

he's the man with teeth like god's shoeshine

last week was a pretty crazy week for me. I have been pretty busy trying to fit everything into my schedule, (who isn't?) and it was one of those weeks where it really paid off. Our school organization Art Agency brought Sam Davis in from California to talk and critique work from a few students (myself included).
Sam is a photographer/sculptor currently stationed in CA, check out his site: www.samdavisart.com. Anyways, it was great hanging with him, learning what he thought about things and experiencing his first time in wisconsin with him.
His work really inspired me to go back to shooting film, and in general to do everything that I have been afraid to do.
He also made me seriously question what I am doing with my art. I am still in the middle of that right now, seperating myself from my work and viewing it as a stranger as Sam put it.
I have been wondering what the light really is in my photographs, is it just a gimmick? Nobody has been saying this, but Sam hinted that it could happen, and I wonder if it already is. I have always been my own hardest critic, and I think that's a good thing. It forces me to keep working through the sludge, through the crappy work, so that hopefully someday soon I can get back to the really good stuff...

No comments: